Playnite Forums
How to import every game of a platform - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Playnite (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Support and Troubleshooting (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: How to import every game of a platform (/thread-1072.html)

How to import every game of a platform - concasser - 01-06-2022

Hello, i have a somewhat specific wish.
i am trying to add every single game of a platform (e.g. ps1) to my collection, but without having the roms/isos on my pc. 
Afterwards i would sort and filter out games i don't care about to have a list of games i want to play in the end, at which time i would then start getting the games.
is there a way in playnite or a plugin i can use to achieve that? 
i hope this is the right place to post this question and hope somebody could help me or point me in the right direction. 
cheers

RE: How to import every game of a platform - Crow - 01-06-2022

The only way would be to write some plugin that would fetch those games from some game database (IGDB or platform specific one). As far as I know there's nothing like that at the moment.

RE: How to import every game of a platform - DrinkFromTheCup - 01-06-2022

Wikipedia insists that there are 4105 unique PS1 titles (as this number includes Deluxe/non-Deluxe versions and, in some cases, region specific versions as separate titles, resulting number will boil down to ~2500 or 3000).
Query: are you sure that you're ready to plow through them all? Smile
(personally I would kill for NDS flavour of such plugin, letting Emulator Importer + DuplicateHider handle actual import and stuff - but alas, 4k titles will slow Playnite on my laptop to a crawl)

RE: How to import every game of a platform - concasser - 01-06-2022

(01-06-2022, 10:03 AM)DrinkFromTheCup Wrote: Wikipedia insists that there are 4105 unique PS1 titles (as this number includes Deluxe/non-Deluxe versions and, in some cases, region specific versions as separate titles, resulting number will boil down to ~2500 or 3000).
Query: are you sure that you're ready to plow through them all? Smile
(personally I would kill for NDS flavour of such plugin, letting Emulator Importer + DuplicateHider handle actual import and stuff - but alas, 4k titles will slow Playnite on my laptop to a crawl)

i would like to give it a shot, yes Big Grin. i would use the many great filters to remove chunks of it first. a bummer that there is no plugin for it. is there a way for me to request one somewhere? sorry i´m new and thansk for the replies

RE: How to import every game of a platform - DrinkFromTheCup - 01-06-2022

Assembling a dedicated plugin for this purpose might be a bit of an overkill...

https://playnite.link/addons.html#SimpleGameImporter_6048b590-bdfb-4a88-8953-2985b4f5c3dc

seems to be the right tool to start with.

After installing it, it's prudent to make a dedicated Source at Library Manager > Sources.

Then, at Extensions > Simple Game Importer > Import:

[Image: image.png]
(our custom source goes to the bottom right)
Slam the list into the biggest input field, hit Add Games and pray for your RAM Smile

As for the list itself...
Pastebin yelled "The content you are trying to publish has been deemed potentially offensive or questionable by our filters, because of this you’re receiving this warning." at me upon trying to stick it there.
Sticking it here as an attachment might be no good either.
So I'm forwarding you a copy through private message... assuming that I'm able to send private messages, didn't tried yet.

RE: How to import every game of a platform - concasser - 01-10-2022

awesome! thanks a lot this is a cool solution. i actually also wanted to do the same for psp/wii and gamecube  xD don't worry i'm not asking you to give me lists for those though, i will figure it out myself somehow. thanks again and cheers

RE: How to import every game of a platform - DrinkFromTheCup - 01-11-2022

Getting the list is no voodoo - just takes a little bit of manual work and two utilities to boot, LibreOffice (or any other tables editor capable of handling .csv files) and Notepad++ (or usual Windows' Notepad).
What I did was:

1. Selected whole games list table on Wikipedia
2. Hit [CTRL]+[C] to copy it
3. Opened LibreOffice's Calc (tables editor) or the like
4. [CTRL]+[V] to paste the list. It hanged a little but pasted the games table properly
5. Selected _headers_ of all columns except one with game names
6. Right click on selected headers > 'delete columns'. There's a dedicated button for that but I'm keeping missing it somehow...
7. File > Save As, save it anywhere with .csv file type. LibreOffice will ask which symbols you would like to use as separators, delimeters, etc, etc - no symbols, all empty in each option of this kind. .csv is purest tables format which lacks redundant beautifications, scripts, etc - just what we need for following steps
8. Open the resulting file in Notepad++ or the like
9. [CTRL]+[F], 'Find and Replace' tab, insert • symbol into Find row and make sure that Replace row is empty
10. Replace All to get rid of these redundant extra symbols which Wikipedia crew sprayed all over the list
aaaaand, it's ready to be copied and pasted into Importer extension's prompt!

Scrolling through whole list to make sure that no extra 'appendages' from Wikipedia's table persisted is still adviced though.

RE: How to import every game of a platform - Reflection - 01-14-2022

I made a bunch of .txt files with the names of the PS1 games from Wikipedia's list and put them into a .rar folder for you. I also included the powershell script I used to do this for anybody else who wants to do it better than I did or with a different system. If you can't trick Playnite into importing this .txt files as PS1 ROMs, just use a program like Advanced Renamer to change the .txt extension to .ps1 or something and outright lie to the program about what you're importing. This should work.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/2wkwk4sxys6jvy3/PS1_Texts.rar/file