Playnite Forums
Sub-folders (Feature request) - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Playnite (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: General (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Sub-folders (Feature request) (/thread-30.html)

Sub-folders (Feature request) - coupland - 11-26-2019

Love the program, great work.

The only feature I'd really like to see (I don't understand why no launchers at all have this) is the ability to organize my library into folders.  i.e - FPS, Blizzard, N64, whatever arbitrary groupings I want.  Also sub-folders should each remember their own view settings.  So FPS games could show in list view but N64 could show in grid view etc.

Hope you'll consider it, have a great day!

RE: Sub-folders (Feature request) - dennisjjunk - 11-26-2019

Sub-folders could also be used to keep together games from a compilation (i.e, keep together the two IWADs (Plutonia and TNT: Evilution) that make up Final Doom).

RE: Sub-folders (Feature request) - steve-o - 11-26-2019

The New Steam UI does this.  There's a "Categories" view that shows one box for each category you've created in Steam.  Clicking on one goes into the filter view of games assigned to that category.

It wold be cool if Playnite did something similar, but I'm also good with just picking my filters in the existing filter panel.

RE: Sub-folders (Feature request) - vogel307 - 11-27-2019

(11-26-2019, 03:03 PM)steve-o Wrote: The New Steam UI does this.  There's a "Categories" view that shows one box for each category you've created in Steam.  Clicking on one goes into the filter view of games assigned to that category.

It wold be cool if Playnite did something similar, but I'm also good with just picking my filters in the existing filter panel.

Actually, Categories have existed for years now - both on Steam and Playnite. The New UI simply features Categories more prominently. There even is an option to import your Steam-Categories into Playnite. (Settings > Libraries > Steam > Import Steam Categories)

The only new addition that came with the New Steam UI was the grid view per Category, but you can achieve that in Playnite if you just filter by Category. If you want to use Categories in any non-grid view, try "Group by > Category".

RE: Sub-folders (Feature request) - steve-o - 11-27-2019

(11-27-2019, 10:27 AM)vogel307 Wrote:
(11-26-2019, 03:03 PM)steve-o Wrote: The New Steam UI does this.  There's a "Categories" view that shows one box for each category you've created in Steam.  Clicking on one goes into the filter view of games assigned to that category.

Actually, Categories have existed for years now - both on Steam and Playnite. The New UI simply features Categories more prominently. There even is an option to import your Steam-Categories into Playnite. (Settings > Libraries > Steam > Import Steam Categories)

The only new addition that came with the New Steam UI was the grid view per Category, but you can achieve that in Playnite if you just filter by Category. If you want to use Categories in any non-grid view, try "Group by > Category".

I'm aware that categories have existed since forever in Steam, but the "grid view per category" is what I was saying would be analogous to the "subfolders" OP was asking about.  That part is new in the new UI.

I'm not sure what you mean by achieving this in Playnite by filtering by category.  In playing with Playnite myself, filtering by a category just shows you the games in that category.  If there's a way to show categories as boxes in the main panel, I haven't found it yet.