Playnite Forums
Magpie v1.1.0 - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Extension Database (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Themes - Desktop (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Magpie v1.1.0 (/thread-336.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Magpie v1.1.0 - DanDavis872 - 07-20-2020

UPDATED Dec. 1, 2021 (v1.1.0)
Latest release always on GitHub releases page.

DarkLinkPower wrote an extension here that should move them from the 0.7.0 location to the new one and an extension here to automate downloading logos and fully configuring this functionality. Logos should now be at [PlayniteConfigFolder]\ExtraMetadata\games\[GameDatabaseID]\logo.png and headers in the same folder named header.jpg

I don't think I'll bother to update this post with identical information as the repo, but I do watch this post. Demands are ignored; polite questions and feedback are welcomed. I'm also on Discord with the same name.

I've designed Magpie to be flexible, but if you're curious, a snapshot of my personal settings are visible here.

Some more advanced tweaks have been built into Magpie but require ThemeModifier or editing of Constants.xaml. I've written several of them up here.

Some Notes: I changed and refactored a bunch and the logo functionality is an unsanctioned, gnarly hack with a caveat. Complain to Crow if that bugs you. Anyway, there are probably bugs; tell me about them, but do your mother proud and remember to say 'thanks'.

Logo Support (major credit to joyrider3774): This will not work with custom library locations! Just drop a logo.png in the metadata folder for the game (that's the default name for a logo from Steam, check SteamGridDB or SteamDB to find them). You can get to that folder from the 'Edit' button -> 'Media' tab -> 'Open metadata folder' button.

SuccessStory and HowLongToBeat Plugin Support: They should integrate even without custom theme support enabled, but the buttons will be incorrectly styled (and the ones that I implemented will break). I recommend enabling custom theme support in their settings.

It's been no small amount of time since I knocked around even in a markup language, but affection for Playnite and free time have gotten me to try my hand again. I'm calling the theme Magpie since it's a) monochromatic and b) composed of design cues stolen from other launcher themes, namely GOG's rounded corners and drop shadows on covers and the general color scheme of the Metro theme for Steam. Since I've gotten it to a point where I'm using it more than tinkering with it I figured I would go ahead and share in the hope that others might enjoy it too and maybe give suggestions or find bugs.

Previews:
[Image: details1.png]

[Image: grid2.png]

[Image: details2.png]

[Image: grid1.png]

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.1.0 - Soul1355 - 07-26-2020

ooh, interesting layout, I like the floating title/launch section for the details view, though I'm not sure I'm sold on the centering for it.
I noticed the description text ignores the justification from opening the "explorer panel," though the background/container for it seems to align properly.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.1.0 - DanDavis872 - 07-28-2020

(07-26-2020, 11:54 PM)Soul1355 Wrote: ooh, interesting layout, I like the floating title/launch section for the details view, though I'm not sure I'm sold on the centering for it.
I noticed the description text ignores the justification from opening the "explorer panel," though the background/container for it seems to align properly.

Fixed that bug for v0.2.0. I'm really not sure what I ultimately want the Details page to look like either, but there's not another layout that I've seen that I'd prefer for now either. If logo support is added, that may help crystallize my ideas.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.2.0 - CyberDragon56 - 07-29-2020

What font did you use for the game titles?

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.2.0 - DanDavis872 - 07-30-2020

(07-29-2020, 06:20 PM)CyberDragon56 Wrote: What font did you use for the game titles?
It follows your choice in the preferences just in small caps.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.1.0 - Soul1355 - 08-01-2020

(07-28-2020, 09:40 PM)DanDavis872 Wrote: Fixed that bug for v0.2.0. I'm really not sure what I ultimately want the Details page to look like either, but there's not another layout that I've seen that I'd prefer for now either. If logo support is added, that may help crystallize my ideas.

Cool, and it looks great with the cover image giving the floating box a bit more weight.
yeah, the details section seems hard, the theme I've been using is just to move the details on the default theme so I know what you mean; I like the feel of it on the right side fwiw. I'll probably be using this too now, but I'm eager to see how it evolves.[url=https://playnite.link/forum/thread-125.html][/url]

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.3.0 - DanDavis872 - 08-03-2020

OP updated with v0.3.0.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.2 - Mido_Vodella - 08-22-2020

I like it! Just out of curiosity do you plan on adding support for clear logos?

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.2 - DanDavis872 - 08-22-2020

(08-22-2020, 11:09 PM)Mido_Vodella Wrote: I like it! Just out of curiosity do you plan on adding support for clear logos?
Yes, once they are their own metadata field or otherwise independently usable. All themes that currently use them replace icons with the logo, which I prefer not to do.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.2 - Mido_Vodella - 08-23-2020

(08-22-2020, 11:21 PM)DanDavis872 Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 11:09 PM)Mido_Vodella Wrote: I like it! Just out of curiosity do you plan on adding support for clear logos?
Yes, once they are their own metadata field or otherwise independently usable. All themes that currently use them replace icons with the logo, which I prefer not to do.
Ah I see.  I just use them as the game's cover, but there's a white background for each of them using the theme. Either way, thanks for replying!

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.2 - keysr - 08-24-2020

Any plans on integrating SuccessStory? I've had no luck trying to get anything to show up, not even the toolbar button.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.2 - DanDavis872 - 08-25-2020

(08-24-2020, 09:35 AM)keysr Wrote: Any plans on integrating SuccessStory? I've had no luck trying to get anything to show up, not even the toolbar button.
I'd forgotten about that for a while. Even with the default theme I've had such poor luck getting SuccessStory to work consistently, that I couldn't tell when it was my theme or the extension that was the problem, so I just gave up and deleted it. I'll look into getting my theme to work with it better, though. Thanks for the reminder.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.2 - raviol - 09-08-2020

Hi! Great theme, but is there any way to get rid of the white bars? I do prefer the artwork to fill the space instead of this. Thank you in advance.

[Image: am7hfN4.png]

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.2.0 - RabidLime - 09-10-2020

(07-30-2020, 08:20 PM)DanDavis872 Wrote:
(07-29-2020, 06:20 PM)CyberDragon56 Wrote: What font did you use for the game titles?
It follows your choice in the preferences just in small caps.

having trouble with mine to get the same as in your screen caps. i'd like them to be nice and big like yours.
[/url]
[url=https://imgur.com/EV5Nzpe]https://imgur.com/EV5Nzpe

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.3 - Akhnaten - 01-05-2021

Love this theme but I find the background images are obscured by the Title/Description text too much. Is it possible to have an option where this could be moved further down the screen?

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.3 - DanDavis872 - 01-05-2021

(09-10-2020, 10:14 PM)RabidLime Wrote: having trouble with mine to get the same as in your screen caps. i'd like them to be nice and big like yours.
If you meant the title shown in the details view, it follows the setting at Appearance / Advanced/ Font Size/ Largest, mine is set to 72 for reference.

(01-05-2021, 11:00 AM)Akhnaten Wrote: Love this theme but I find the background images are obscured by the Title/Description text too much. Is it possible to have an option where this could be moved further down the screen?
[Image: NJrkgSh.png]
This setting should be what you're looking for.

RE: Magpie (Default Mod) v0.4.3 - OliveGreenVespa - 01-08-2021

the games in the first screenshot practically compose my top 6 games of all time. amazing theme too.

RE: Magpie v0.5.0 - DanDavis872 - 01-16-2021

Bumping for v0.5.0 feature update! OP updated. Enjoy!

RE: Magpie v0.7.0 - mankid200 - 01-27-2021

omg i love this theme omg omg aisudghauy8gwduyagduyguads Smile

RE: Magpie v0.7.0 - DanDavis872 - 01-27-2021

(01-27-2021, 10:57 AM)mankid200 Wrote: omg i love this theme omg omg aisudghauy8gwduyagduyguads Smile
Thanks!

Also, bumping with v0.8.1 intro post.