Playnite Forums
Grid View Banner - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Extension Database (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Themes - Desktop (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: Grid View Banner (/thread-410.html)

Pages: 1 2

Grid View Banner - Goose - 10-07-2020

Version 0.6 Update

You can download the latest version of the theme here [attachment=1702]

Note: Current development builds of the theme may have performance issues or bugs. 

If using the Game Activity extension, disable custom theme integration in the settings. It has been known to cause slowdown issues with this theme.

Theme game cover animation in 0.6 may be slower in some cases depending on the amount of game covers loaded in. Forum post will be updated with details on how to remove animations if required.

Please notify me of any issues you have and I will fix ASAP. If you need a quick response I'll be under the name Goose on the Playnite discord.

About this theme :

Add a banner to the grid view with easy access between library & game details. 

(Theme is currently designed around 1440p, settings can be adjusted for use with different resolutions)

Screenshots :

[Image: 5YPQ9xJ.jpeg]

[Image: b2dgRry.jpeg]

Installation

Drag the pthm file onto playnite while open to install.

Adjusting Theme Look & Layout via Theme Modifier - Recommended.

You can adjust everything from banner height, panel height, opacity of items, drop shadow strength & item colouring using the ThemeModifier plugin from the Playnite forums to configure the theme how you like.

Struggling to adjust something or want something added? Message me on here or for a quicker response message me on discord.

[Image: 3j8m7rW.jpeg]

Adding Video & Logo Support

Download Extra Metadata tools from the Playnite forums to configure videos and logos. Ensure your absolute metadatatapath is correct, it can be located in the thememodifer settings. See the official extension forum post for more details.

Finding good banners for the theme

Download the steamgrid extension from the Playnite forums for easier downloading of banners, they replace backgrounds currently.

To do:

- Continue adjusting colouring for base theme

- More theme variations via theme modfier (Light, Dark, Orange/Blue)

- Creation of theme for use on 1080p or lower with DPI scaling.

- Finalise overview layout

- Fix alignment and clipping issues introduced by 0.5 update, this will be fixed with the finalised layout

- Improved performance for custom theme integration

Changelog:

Version 0.6

Removed outdated extension code to improve theme performance

Improved scaling to 1080p screens (not finalised)

Adjusted theme colouring for higher contrast

Animation changes to game cover selection

Glass effect added to game covers (can be turned off)

Added more theme setting constants that can be changed via ThemeModifier

Version 0.5 

Reworked theme layout for easier switching between grid & game overviews

Reworked underlying code for better Integration with theme modifier for user customisation flexibility

Integration with extra metadata tools for video & logo support

Better success story integration

Adjusted grid view details page so it can be scrolled

Added variants for rounded or sharp edges across the theme

Added animation on game cover selection in grid view

Destroyed version 0.4

Colouring adjustments

Version 0.3

Added expandable detail view under horizontal grid view banner

Adjusted banner design

Updated detail view with new design 

Colouring adjustments

Version 0.2

Adjusted theme colouring for more consistency.

Grid view height can now be adjusted using grid view details width under layout in the settings. 

Achievement text should no longer show if achievement plugin is not active.

Top bar made smaller.

Version 0.1

Version 0.1 uploaded for testing. 

Older Versions:

[attachment=1698]

Logo version

[attachment=910]

Logo version

[attachment=792]

Text title version

[attachment=793]

[attachment=789]

[attachment=790]

RE: Grid View Banner - spineduke - 10-22-2020

One of the more promising themes around. Thank you!

RE: Grid View Banner - DonkeyOatay - 10-22-2020

Looking good so far, although the text in the description is really fuzzy on my machine (on both monitors 1920 x 1200 and 2560x1440) for some reason. Please can you post your settings though so I (and others I imagine) can check what we should be using? - it will be good when Playnite allows themes to set these things themselves in the next version (I think that is when Crow has it planned for).

RE: Grid View Banner - Goose - 10-22-2020

(10-22-2020, 11:57 AM)Donkeyfumbler Wrote: Looking good so far, although the text in the description is really fuzzy on my machine (on both monitors 1920 x 1200 and 2560x1440) for some reason. Please can you post your settings though so I (and others I imagine) can check what we should be using? - it will be good when Playnite allows themes to set these things themselves in the next version (I think that is when Crow has it planned for).

Currently using auto and ideal for the rendering & formatting. Font sizes are the 12, 14, 15, 20, 29 default. I will look into the description text on the theme side to see if there is anything I can do to improve the image quality.

(10-22-2020, 06:48 AM)spineduke Wrote: One of the more promising themes around. Thank you!

Thankyou

RE: Grid View Banner - Spuzaw - 10-24-2020

Thank you so much for making this! It looks amazing! It's definitely a must to use with the Steamgrid Extension.

Here's a video for anyone that wants to see how it looks in action.

RE: Grid View Banner - GetFR3AKY - 11-01-2020

I like this theme so far! Looking forward for the text title version Smile

RE: Grid View Banner - JAXi - 11-03-2020

I know this might sound weird, but how did you accomplish this? I'd love to re-create this kinda grid view on my own theme (not going to publish it as it's a copy from other themes that I've combined together and still in progress, making it for myself as it fits my overall theme).

EDIT: Forget that, gave up on it and will be doing the theme a bit differently. One thing. Is there a way to change this theme so the icon wouldn't be there on game view? I'd love to have options.

EDIT 2: Figured all out on my own. Beautiful theme. Making it even better (for my own use). Thanks for making this (wouldn't have thought about this myself).

RE: Grid View Banner - JourneyOver - 11-12-2020

Not sure what the issue is here but all the achievement data and game activity data seems to just end up blank for every game.. https://i.imgur.com/4dES6mg.png

Even mousing over the sections doesn't bring up any data at all, like it's completely missing. Sadly nothing in the logs either :/ it seems to only be happening with this theme.

RE: Grid View Banner - steve-o - 11-12-2020

(11-03-2020, 12:17 AM)JAXi Wrote: I know this might sound weird, but how did you accomplish this? I'd love to re-create this kinda grid view on my own theme (not going to publish it as it's a copy from other themes that I've combined together and still in progress, making it for myself as it fits my overall theme).

Jaxi may have found his way, but I'd still be interested to see how this horizontal effect was achieved.  Ideally, I'm looking to have the details view (including background image) above and the grid view below, in my own theme.

RE: Grid View Banner - Goose - 11-13-2020

(11-12-2020, 02:08 PM)JourneyOver Wrote: Not sure what the issue is here but all the achievement data and game activity data seems to just end up blank for every game.. https://i.imgur.com/4dES6mg.png

Even mousing over the sections doesn't bring up any data at all, like it's completely missing. Sadly nothing in the logs either :/ it seems to only be happening with this theme.

Currently updating the theme to the later version of those plugins, will be fixed for 0.4 including some other improvements.

(11-12-2020, 10:03 PM)steve-o Wrote:
(11-03-2020, 12:17 AM)JAXi Wrote: I know this might sound weird, but how did you accomplish this? I'd love to re-create this kinda grid view on my own theme (not going to publish it as it's a copy from other themes that I've combined together and still in progress, making it for myself as it fits my overall theme).

Jaxi may have found his way, but I'd still be interested to see how this horizontal effect was achieved.  Ideally, I'm looking to have the details view (including background image) above and the grid view below, in my own theme.

Open the theme up in blend and look in GridGameOverview.Xaml & LibraryGridView.Xaml.  The layout, bindings & sort order to achieve the effect are in those 2 files. 

Once you have everything positioned correctly, make sure the main relevant containers are set to auto & stretch so they correctly adjust when the user changes the banner height if you go that far with it.

(10-24-2020, 11:52 PM)Spuzaw Wrote: Thank you so much for making this! It looks amazing! It's definitely a must to use with the Steamgrid Extension.

Here's a video for anyone that wants to see how it looks in action.

Thankyou & yes steamgrid is the best metadata source to use for this theme.

(11-01-2020, 10:42 PM)GetFR3AKY Wrote: I like this theme so far! Looking forward for the text title version Smile

Will be done soon alongside a 0.4 release

RE: Grid View Banner - whoozwah - 02-10-2021

how do you restore the banner if you click off it with the X button?

edit: nvm. figured it out. the banner in this theme is details pane. If you click the info button when hovering over a game to open that up it restores the banner.

Banner picture size issue - Cner - 05-17-2021

Having some issues with image crop. Not sure what the go is but all the cover images (using steam metadata) all seem to crop about half way and just run off the banner view. I have fiddled with the size adjustment in layout settings which changes the size of the banner but not the image within so the crop just gets bigger or smaller.

https://imgur.com/a/w4sxGbY

RE: Banner picture size issue - Goose - 05-18-2021

(05-17-2021, 03:28 AM)Cner Wrote: Having some issues with image crop. Not sure what the go is but all the cover images (using steam metadata) all seem to crop about half way and just run off the banner view. I have fiddled with the size adjustment in layout settings which changes the size of the banner but not the image within so the crop just gets bigger or smaller.

https://imgur.com/a/w4sxGbY

I've got a new version of this theme coming soon.

Will look into this for you. It appears to be an issue caused by the theme using UniformToFill instead of Fill. There's some code to swap the setting I will highlight in the upcoming release to make it easy for you to change it.

If you or anyone here need a quicker or more detailed response with code changes, I'm available on the playnite discord for private messaging under the name Goose.

RE: Grid View Banner - ragestaker21 - 05-26-2021

REALLY PROMISING

RE: Grid View Banner - RabidLime - 06-10-2021

i love this! any chance you have a settings file for download? i'm having trouble making look exactly like yours. thanks!

edit: also, any way to center the banner image vertically?

RE: Grid View Banner - keysr - 06-28-2021

Looks great. Having some performance issues, yeah. Eager to see them fixed! Thank you very much and great work!

RE: Grid View Banner - Goose - 06-29-2021

(06-10-2021, 07:35 PM)RabidLime Wrote: i love this! any chance you have a settings file for download? i'm having trouble making look exactly like yours. thanks!

edit: also, any way to center the banner image vertically?

Sorry for the late response. I've updated the theme with a new layout and will be pushing more frequent updates out until the final design. If you need a hand adjusting the theme in the latest version let me know. I'll look into the banner centering for you too.

RE: Grid View Banner - plumbob_omb - 06-30-2021

This is by far my favourite Playnite theme! I loved the 0.5 version of this theme, but I think the 0.6 version is even better!

I have one problem though, I can't get my Playnite to look like the second picture. I was able to figure out how to do most of the things I wanted with the ThemeModifier and Extra Metadata Tools extensions, but there is one part of the theme that doesn't look right and I don't know what to do to fix it. Basically, it's the part of the theme with the Time Played/Last Played/Completion Status/Source data. In your picture, this section appears beside the game title and above the description, whereas on my screen it appears above the Series/Genre/Age Rating/Platform data. Perhaps it is due to my screen being 1920x1080, but I think it looks nicer in your screenshot and would like to have a way to make it look like that too, even if it meant making these elements smaller.

Another issue is that elements remain even if you don't have the game fields information selected in the settings for Details View. I didn't have the Source and Completion Status selected (they aren't by default) and thought there was an error with the theme because those sections appeared with only the book and checkmark icons and no other text. It would be cool if sections like that didn't display at all unless they were selected to be displayed in the settings. I had a similar problem with games that lack information like features (such as games from itch.io), so even though I do have that option selected these games would show up with a blank section where the feature data would be.

Other than that, gorgeous theme and I'm loving it even more now with the new update!

Edit: Also a feature I'd like to see added one day is a section for HowLongToBeat data. I know I can access it from the menu of each game myself but it would be cool to be able to see that information at a glance. There are a few themes that have the feature built in but I prefer this theme to all of them, so I'd be grateful if you considered adding it one day (but it's fine if you don't too).

RE: Grid View Banner - Goose - 06-30-2021

(06-30-2021, 04:20 AM)plumbob_omb Wrote: This is by far my favourite Playnite theme! I loved the 0.5 version of this theme, but I think the 0.6 version is even better!

I have one problem though, I can't get my Playnite to look like the second picture. I was able to figure out how to do most of the things I wanted with the ThemeModifier and Extra Metadata Tools extensions, but there is one part of the theme that doesn't look right and I don't know what to do to fix it. Basically, it's the part of the theme with the Time Played/Last Played/Completion Status/Source data. In your picture, this section appears beside the game title and above the description, whereas on my screen it appears above the Series/Genre/Age Rating/Platform data. Perhaps it is due to my screen being 1920x1080, but I think it looks nicer in your screenshot and would like to have a way to make it look like that too, even if it meant making these elements smaller.

Another issue is that elements remain even if you don't have the game fields information selected in the settings for Details View. I didn't have the Source and Completion Status selected (they aren't by default) and thought there was an error with the theme because those sections appeared with only the book and checkmark icons and no other text. It would be cool if sections like that didn't display at all unless they were selected to be displayed in the settings. I had a similar problem with games that lack information like features (such as games from itch.io), so even though I do have that option selected these games would show up with a blank section where the feature data would be.

Other than that, gorgeous theme and I'm loving it even more now with the new update!

Edit: Also a feature I'd like to see added one day is a section for HowLongToBeat data. I know I can access it from the menu of each game myself but it would be cool to be able to see that information at a glance. There are a few themes that have the feature built in but I prefer this theme to all of them, so I'd be grateful if you considered adding it one day (but it's fine if you don't too).

The Timeplay/Completion Status section was moved in 0.6 as a quick fix for 1080p resolutions so everything scaled. I'll be moving the theme over to wrap panels & uniform grids entirely in the future so it will respond to spacing better with a better layout. I will also be adding automatically hiding panels when gamedata isn't available where possible too.

Yes I will add howlongtobeat into the improved layout once done

RE: Grid View Banner - adrian5683 - 07-02-2021

Amazing work, very interested in how version 1.0 will look.