Playnite Forums
Adding games like ScummVM - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Development (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-10.html)
+--- Forum: Extensions (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Thread: Adding games like ScummVM (/thread-441.html)

Adding games like ScummVM - nynjordin - 10-24-2020

Hi,

I'm working on a launcher who let users download games from a server inside a LAN (for LAN party). While looking for something else, I found this launcher, so much better than mine and with the possibility to add functionality via plugins.

My first question is pretty simple, I don't have read the documentation entirely yet, but I read that it's not possible to import game library with scripting langage, but, in exemples, I can see something look like adding games library from ScummVM, via it's config file. So, if my game list come from a Json file, for exemple, that should be possible?

If yes, what about downloading the game? It's possible do add custom function to download a game via the download button (with loading bar, eventually, ect) with PowerShell or IronPython script?

I also would like to know if is it possible to add more informations about the game (number of max players, size of the game, ect) with scripting langage (all these informations are in the json file)?

Last question, for now, always with the scripting langage, is it possible to add custom button with custom function? Like special instruction for a game to work well in LAN (for exemple: opening a simple dialog box with instructions who come from the json file) or a dialog box with these special instruction juste before the game start (I can see that it's possible to add custom PowerShell script for each game, but I would like to set this feature inside the plugin directly, not with custom code to add manually for each game that need special instructions).

Thanks

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - Crow - 10-24-2020

You can't create library integration via scripting, but you can import any game you want via scripting, including any data associated with that game.

Downloads are not supported currently, they will be in future, but definitely not via scripting, only via compiled plugins. For now you have to implement downloads yourself in the extensions.

You can't add new UI elements. It will be possible in Playnite 9, but only via compiled plugins.

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - nynjordin - 10-24-2020

Thanks for the quick answer.

So, to be sure to understand: the download button can trigger a function in a PowerShell script ? If yes, it's what I need (but the user can't see the progression of it's download, exact? because it's not possible to refresh an information in the interface regularly, for now)

Plugins from Playnite 8 will be compatible with version 9 (Or I should wait the version 9 to start working on a plugin - I know a little C# but i'm not very good)

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - Crow - 10-24-2020

No, Install button can't trigger script functions, it only works with integration/library plugins. Playnite 8 plugins will work in Playnite 9.

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - nynjordin - 10-24-2020

If I understand well: script plugins are kinds of one time use thing (like adding a game, to add another one we need to restart the script), when compiled ones are for an integration in the "Playnite engine"?

When the version 9 will out (approx.)?

I have just found many complex exemple of compiled plugin source, do you have some exemple of basic stuff to start to understand how that work? (I just found some interesting stuff in documentation, thanks)

Thanks

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - Crow - 10-25-2020

I have no idea when Playnite 9 will be out.

https://playnite.link/docs/

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - OneAngryGamer - 10-22-2021

For anyone looking at importing ScummVM games into Playnite, you can try my extension here

(It also has options to import Wii U and PS3 games from your Cemu and/or RPCS3 emulator)

Disclaimer: The extension was developed on/for Playnite 8. (You can try it in Playnite 9 however it isn't supported).

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - Crow - 10-22-2021

ScummVM is natively supported in Playnite 9, you don't need to use any extensions anymore. Just import ScummVM as emulator and then scan for games using built-in profile. It will automatically import all games already set up in ScummVM installation.

RE: Adding games like ScummVM - OneAngryGamer - 10-22-2021

(10-22-2021, 06:25 AM)Crow Wrote: ScummVM is natively supported in Playnite 9, you don't need to use any extensions anymore. Just import ScummVM as emulator and then scan for games using built-in profile. It will automatically import all games already set up in ScummVM installation.

Thanks Crow.

For those using Playnite 8 - you can try my extension to import ScummVM. (If you using Playnite 9, you don't need it for ScummVM. It does have extra features when importing PS3 and Wii U games though.)