Playnite Forums
Local file links - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Playnite (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Support and Troubleshooting (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Local file links (/thread-842.html)

Local file links - AlphaBlackProtocol - 10-16-2021

Love Playnite, and v9.4 is working great, so thank you.

Except for one thing:

I often use pointers to local files in the "links" section. It used to be I'd create a link like:

file:///c:/game/playnite/usefulstuff/HappyPicture.jpg (or whatever)

and clicking that would open the file in the associated program. JPGs would open in my image viewer, PDFs would open in Acrobat, TXT files would open in Notepad, HTML files in the web browser, etc. This would let me add extra stuff - screenshots, walk-throughs, manuals, etc - quickly and easily, all in one place and easily accessible.

But with Playnite v.94, this method doesn't seem to work. Instead, it tries to open the web-browser, and then it just fails (apparently some file browsers have deprecated the file:/// link?).

Is it possible to add this feature back, or tweak some config file to make it work like it used to? 

Thanks.

RE: Local file links - turtleship_ - 10-16-2021

(10-16-2021, 05:41 AM)AlphaBlackProtocol Wrote: Love Playnite, and v9.4 is working great, so thank you.

Except for one thing:

I often use pointers to local files in the "links" section. It used to be I'd create a link like:

file:///c:/game/playnite/usefulstuff/HappyPicture.jpg (or whatever)

and clicking that would open the file in the associated program. JPGs would open in my image viewer, PDFs would open in Acrobat, TXT files would open in Notepad, HTML files in the web browser, etc. This would let me add extra stuff - screenshots, walk-throughs, manuals, etc - quickly and easily, all in one place and easily accessible.

But with Playnite v.94, this method doesn't seem to work. Instead, it tries to open the web-browser, and then it just fails (apparently some file browsers have deprecated the file:/// link?).

Is it possible to add this feature back, or tweak some config file to make it work like it used to? 

Thanks.
Try removing one / from the file part:

file://

RE: Local file links - Crow - 10-16-2021

I will have to add explicit support for local file paths and URIs.

RE: Local file links - AlphaBlackProtocol - 10-23-2021

(10-16-2021, 10:00 AM)Crow Wrote: I will have to add explicit support for local file paths and URIs.

Oh, you fixed it! I just downloaded the update and saw something about links, so I tested one of my local links and it works!

Thank you! I have to admit, I totally didn't think you would do this, because I don't know if anyone else has this problem, and it seemed so minor and probably more effort than it was worth, but you fixed it anyway.

Thank you thank you thank you! I was already considering deleting all those links and maybe replacing them with individual actions but that would have been so much work (I have literally over a thousand games) and now I don't have to do that. Thank you!

(Did I say thank you? Thank you!)