Playnite Forums
Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Extension Database (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Generic Extensions (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Thread: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more (/thread-878.html)

Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - OneAngryGamer - 10-22-2021

This extension contains several fixes for game names (and sorting names). It can:
  • populate sorting names
  • remove Title Sort * style from game names.
  • It also fixes the order for titles with roman numerals

* ('Title Sort' refers to leading articles ignored for the purpose of sorting titles. For example, 'The Legend of Zelda' would be treated as starting with the letter 'L' instead of 'T'). This is very useful after importing roms into Playnite. (The No-Intro naming convention uses Title Sort).

Example Before Fix:
  1. Final Fantasy IX
  2. FINAL FANTASY VIII - REMASTERED
  3. FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE
  4. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster

Example After Fix:
  1. FINAL FANTASY VIII - REMASTERED
  2. Final Fantasy IX
  3. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  4. FINAL FANTASY XII THE ZODIAC AGE

As you can see in the above example - the titles are now ordered numerically even though they use roman numerals.

Details of Features:
  • Name field - Trim: This fixes a minor bug created by old versions of Playnite. This checks every game in the database for trailing spaces and trims any found.
  • Name field - Remove Title Sort style: This removes Title Sort from game names.
  • Sorting Name field - Populate: This will check the name of every game in the database and adds sorting names if necessary.
  • Sorting Name field - Remove existing names if match game name: This will fix any sorting names that are no longer needed.
  • Sorting Name field - Trim: This will fix any sorting names that need trimming.
  • Sorting Name field - Apply Title Sort to existing names: If you ever manually set any sorting names, this can be used to apply Title Sort ordering.
  • Sorting Name field - Report existing names not matching calculated values: This may be useful if you have ever manually set any sorting names. This checks all existing sorting names and calculates what the sorting name would have been if it had been set by 'Sorting Name field - Populate'. Recommend running this report before running the next fix.
  • Sorting Name field - Update existing names to calculated values (with prompt): This may be useful if you have ever manually set any sorting names. This checks all existing sorting names and compares what the sorting name would have been if it had been set by 'Sorting Name field - Populate'. If the sorting name value is different, it will ask whether you want to update the sorting name with the calculated value. If you have done extensive editing of sorting names, this can take a long time to process.

Compatibility: Due to the Great 8 Break, this extension is not compatible with any version of Playnite after v8.15.

If you found this extension useful, you can find more of my extensions here

After these forums close I will upload add-ons to https://mega.nz/folder

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 10-22-2021

Future Plans
  • To create an exclusion list for the last fix. This would record manual sorting names that you want to keep so you won't get asked for these games in future.
  • The report in 'Sorting Name field - Report existing names not matching calculated values' can be hard to read. May change this to CSV.
  • I'm not checking for 'an' when using Title Sort. If you have a game that has 'An' as a leading article, reply to this thread with the details and I will update the Title Sort function.

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 11-05-2021

Update Announcement - v1.1.0

I am not happy with the extension so I have made several changes:

Altered the function for converting to/from TitleSort
Example of converting a game name to Title Sort (e.g. for populating Sorting Name)
OLD METHOD: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, The
NOW: Legend of Zelda, The: Ocarina of Time

Altered the function for converting roman numerals in game names
Detects + fixes a specific scenario that applies to a handful of games

Added a new option - 'Sorting Name field - Update existing names to calculated values (Only automatic fixes. Does not fix any needing review.)'
This will fix any existing Sorting Names that are safe to correct without needing a user review. (These changes are logged so you can review these afterwards in the Playnite log)
This fixed 30% of existing differences for me.

Altered existing option - 'Sorting Name field - Update existing names to calculated values (with prompt)'
The 'automatic fixes' I have created for the new option are also implemented into the prompt version. This reduces the number of prompts received as the obvious errors are corrected without a prompt.

Added special treatment of Trademarks and Registered symbols for Sorting Names

Bug fixes (including an automatic detection/correction of a minor error introduced in an earlier version)

RE: Fix Game Names - GrayMess - 02-07-2022

Will you be updating this extension to Playnite 9? Looking forward to using it!

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 02-07-2022

(02-07-2022, 07:45 AM)GrayMess Wrote: Will you be updating this extension to Playnite 9? Looking forward to using it!

I intend to convert this extension after I change over to Playnite 9 (That wont happen until after 2x P8 only plugins have been converted to P9)

I have been experimenting with parsing numerous dat files to dump description tags that could be used in Playnite fields. You could select roms in Playnite, pick which naming convention you want to use and then scan the selected games and it would extract information (e.g. region, versions, prototypes, unreleased betas) from the file names.

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 03-10-2022

Update Announcement v1.2.0
  • NEW - added new feature to allow renaming No-Intro roms to custom replace hyphens with colons *
  • NEW - smart sorting names for sports franchises that overlap the year 2000 **
  • IMPROVED - improved roman numeral function again. Expanded the custom handling for Final Fantasy games.
  • IMPROVED - use CSV format report for 'Sorting Name field - Report existing names not matching calculated values'
  • other code changes

* Rename hyphens to colons

Warning: Not all hyphens should be changed to colons. Only select the games that you want renamed.

How to use:
  1. (optional) enter hyphen into the game name filter
  2. Manually select the roms that you want to rename
  3. Main Menu --> Fix Game Names --> (SELECTED ROMS ONLY) Replace dash with colon on Name (and Sorting Name)
  4. Result = 'The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past' becomes 'The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past'
This new feature is beta:
  • roms with one hyphen = automatically named
  • roms with two hyphens = will ask whether you want the first or the second hyphen replaced
  • roms with more than two hyphens = these are unsupported and will be ignored

** This change to calculation of sorting names was added for collectors of sports games released around the turn of the century.

BEFORE (below v1.2):
  • Example Franchise Name '98
  • Example Franchise Name 2000
  • Example Franchise Name 2001
  • Example Franchise Name 99
AFTER (v1.2 and up):
  • Example Franchise Name '98
  • Example Franchise Name 99
  • Example Franchise Name 2000
  • Example Franchise Name 2001

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 12-16-2022

Update Announcement v1.3.0
  • FIXED fix code that could occasionally trigger an error message
  • FIXED corrected result counts by subtracting false positives
  • IMPROVED updated ExpandTwoDigitYearsInGameStrings function, improves game sorting
  • IMPROVED updated Title Sort function to add support for articles in languages other than English
  • IMPROVED improve the sort ordering for Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games
  • IMPROVED automatically apply the above improvement by running 'Sorting Name field - Update existing names to calculated values (Only automatic fixes. Does not fix any needing review.)'
  • IMPROVED altered 'Sorting Name field - Report existing names not matching calculated values' to output DatabaseId instead of GameId
  • IMPROVED game exceptions - 'Driv3r' will now use 'Driver 3' for its sort name

If you found this extension useful, you can find more of my extensions at https://playnite.link/forum/search.php?action=finduserthreads&uid=2858

If these forums are closed, I will not be moving to Discord or reddit.

RE: Fix Game Names - Jeshibu - 12-17-2022

(02-07-2022, 07:45 AM)GrayMess Wrote: Will you be updating this extension to Playnite 9? Looking forward to using it!
Playnite 10 has functionality built in that mostly overlaps with this extension (look at main menu > Settings > Sorting)

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 12-27-2022

When / If Playnite 9+ ever reaches the level of user created content available in Playnite 8 then I will upgrade but not before.

After I upgrade I will begin converting almost all of my extensions. The most difficult will be the infamous One Ring project which can connect to over 250 websites and download game data and media and more. It was designed from the ground up with user customization and modding in mind. One of its goals is to allow end users to add their favorite  websites and, if they choose, they can upload these to share with others. (For an example of that concept, see my Custom Emulator Profiles extension - this gives users the ability to easily create their own emulator templates that they can, if they choose to, share with others using this extension).

Playnite 9 broke all existing user content. While many of these have been converted, there are still Playnite 8 plugins that Playnite 9/10 has no equivalent for.

(12-17-2022, 09:49 PM)Jeshibu Wrote: Playnite 10 has functionality built in that mostly overlaps with this extension (look at main menu > Settings > Sorting)

That almost makes me want to try Playnite 10 to see how it handles the sorting of game titles that contain roman numerals.

RE: Fix Game Names - Jeshibu - 12-28-2022

(12-27-2022, 02:33 AM)OneAngryGamer Wrote:

When / If Playnite 9+ ever reaches the level of user created content available in Playnite 8 then I will upgrade but not before.

That's an... interesting take. There have been a whole bunch of extensions released exclusively for 9+ too. I can recommend taking a look with a portable Playnite 10 installation so it doesn't conflict with your Playnite 8 setup.

RE: Fix Game Names - OneAngryGamer - 12-29-2022

(12-28-2022, 12:06 PM)Jeshibu Wrote:
(12-27-2022, 02:33 AM)OneAngryGamer Wrote: When / If Playnite 9+ ever reaches the level of user created content available in Playnite 8 then I will upgrade but not before.

That's an... interesting take. There have been a whole bunch of extensions released exclusively for 9+ too. I can recommend taking a look with a portable Playnite 10 installation so it doesn't conflict with your Playnite 8 setup.

As Crow advised when Playnite 9 was released:

Quote:Playnite 9 contains breaking changes to both extensions and themes. Even though some developers already updated their add-ons and have P9 compatible versions available, not all did. Which means that if you absolutely depend on some specific theme or extension and they are not available for P9, you might want to wait with update to P9.

(12-28-2022, 12:06 PM)Jeshibu Wrote: There have been a whole bunch of extensions released exclusively for 9+ too.

Most of the P9+ extensions have old versions available on P8. There are a few exclusives but some of these I already have equivalents that I had created myself on P8 and never released publicly. There is currently no P9+ exclusive that I would consider worth losing out on all of the P8 exclusives. Crow advised to wait if you absolutely depend on any P8 exclusive so that is what I am doing.

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - Jeshibu - 12-29-2022

Fair enough. If those plugins are open-source you could fork them and make them compatible with P10 relatively easily though.

What are the holdout P8 exclusives (besides your own)?

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - OneAngryGamer - 12-29-2022

(12-29-2022, 03:01 PM)Jeshibu Wrote: Fair enough. If those plugins are open-source you could fork them and make them compatible with P10 relatively easily though.

1. LaunchBox metadata plugin by spektor56  GitHub
  2. EmuLibrary by psychonic GitHub
There are others (not including my own P8 exclusives) however most of these I have created my own version so they will be included when I convert my creations for Playnite 9.

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more [taken down - see latest post] - OneAngryGamer - 02-24-2023

Update Announcement v1.3.3

• FIXED 'Name field - Remove Title Sort style' - fixed regression in public release of v1.3.0
  • IMPROVED 'Name field - Remove Title Sort style' - altered detection of Title Sort to include more games. This change was made to include Redump names containing a subtitle.

Compatibility Warning: Due to the breaking changes introduced in Playnite 9, this extension is not compatible with any version of Playnite after v8.15.

If you found this extension useful, you can find more of my extensions here

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - Jeshibu - 02-26-2023

(12-29-2022, 11:02 PM)OneAngryGamer Wrote:
(12-29-2022, 03:01 PM)Jeshibu Wrote: Fair enough. If those plugins are open-source you could fork them and make them compatible with P10 relatively easily though.

1. LaunchBox metadata plugin by spektor56  GitHub
  2. EmuLibrary by psychonic GitHub
There are others (not including my own P8 exclusives) however most of these I have created my own version so they will be included when I convert my creations for Playnite 9.
Well, there's a LaunchBox metadata provider for Playnite 10 now. Not sure what EmuLibrary does, but give P10 a try!

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more [NEW UPDATE FOR REDUMP] - Jeshibu - 03-02-2023

EmuLibrary has a Playnite 10 version but the developer has said they don't intend to release it - you'll have to build it yourself from the source. Also in another thread I saw that .SFO reading for PS3 games - the RPCS3 emulator profile for Playnite 10 does that too.

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more [NEW UPDATE FOR REDUMP] - darklinkpower - 03-02-2023

We talked with psychonic in the Playnite discord and told them about you and he shared a link with the latest EmuLibrary build for P10 if you want it: https://cloud.scamm.in/s/o5bk7G3SoD7L88y

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - OneAngryGamer - 03-09-2023

(02-26-2023, 01:59 PM)Jeshibu Wrote: Well, there's a LaunchBox metadata provider for Playnite 10 now.

Thank you very much Jeshibu. I will download Playnite 9 and test this out soon.

(03-02-2023, 10:51 PM)Jeshibu Wrote: in another thread I saw that .SFO reading for PS3 games - the RPCS3 emulator profile for Playnite 10 does that too.

I was not aware of that when I wrote Import Games from Emulators. If Playnite 9+ can now read SFOs for PS3, does it also read SFOs for Vita? What about Wii U?

(03-02-2023, 11:26 PM)darklinkpower Wrote: We talked with psychonic in the Playnite discord and told them about you and he shared a link with the latest EmuLibrary build for P10 if you want it: https://cloud.scamm.in/s/o5bk7G3SoD7L88y
Thank you darklinkpower and psychonic.

Now that EmuLibrary and LaunchBox have publicly available releases for P9+, I have no reasons left for staying on P8. I will test this out on the weekend before converting most of my extensions.

UPDATE: There is a lack of information on converting P8 scripts to P9 so I am unable to successfully convert my extensions. I am staying with Playnite 8 unless this changes.

RE: Fix Game Names | Fix No-Intro, roman numerals + more - OneAngryGamer - 08-15-2023

Update Announcement v1.3.5

Fixed
  • fix Title Sort not being applied to certain titles
Improved
  • changed the prompt used in 'Sorting Name field - Update existing names to calculated values (with prompt)' - it is now much easier to read
Changed
  • other code changes

If you found this add-on useful, you can find more of my add-ons here

After these forums close I will upload add-ons to https://mega.nz/folder/M2lQjAwK#njde1JEQbJjquOAojrXF_A