Playnite Forums
Closing programs - Printable Version

+- Playnite Forums (https://playnite.link/forum)
+-- Forum: Playnite (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Support and Troubleshooting (https://playnite.link/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Closing programs (/thread-970.html)

Closing programs - Luka8989 - 11-17-2021

I added the Xbox Game Pass app and the PS Now exe to the Playnite library by putting them under a filter created by me with the name Store, practically when I start them everything works but both programs if I close them do not close completely but are reduced icon and there is no way to change this in the settings of the two programs, so I don't automatically go back to playnite, how can I fix this?

RE: Closing programs - kung-foo-kamel - 01-23-2022

I have a similar issue, if you launch an Xcloud game, once you quit the game you fall back to the Xcloud gui in full screen with no way to close it, or return to Playnite, if you do an alt tab with a keyboard back to Playnite, all controller buttons and movements still appear to be mapped to the Xcloud interface as you can hear it responded in the background as you navigate Playnite, even if you launch a new game, you can still hear the buttons operating Xcloud.

Not sure what the fix is here, but I think we need a hot command/script tied to a long press on the Xbox button to force close whatever app is running and relaunch Playnite, or maybe hold down menu and press the Xbox button?

RE: Closing programs - CriticalComposer - 01-23-2022

(11-17-2021, 05:36 PM)Luka8989 Wrote: I added the Xbox Game Pass app and the PS Now exe to the Playnite library by putting them under a filter created by me with the name Store, practically when I start them everything works but both programs if I close them do not close completely but are reduced icon and there is no way to change this in the settings of the two programs, so I don't automatically go back to playnite, how can I fix this?
First double check the settings in these applications. Look for anything that says something like "close application when a launched game is closed." This setting is becoming rarer in platforms but it's worth a shot to look.

Otherwise there isn't anything Playnite can do about it. You've told Playnite to launch a process and it won't be able to do anything until that process is ended (this would be the Exit Game Script). Playnite has zero knowledge of any state of these streaming apps, all it's doing it monitoring "is that process that I launched still running?" So closing the application has to be done manually.

If you're at your desk the simplest is to use your mouse to right click the tray icon and exit it. However it's also the most annoying and requires you be at your desk. My best alternative would be an AutoHotKey script that binds a key to end both of these programs. You could either get a wireless numberpad to assign this shortcut to or get a controller profiler software (like reWASD or JoyShockMapper) and put the shortcut on your controller.

I suppose the most automated process for this would be to continuously monitor your network data and when it drops below a certain threshold to force close these processes. The amount of data being sent/received should be massively greater when streaming a game rather than simply browsing the platform. Dropping below the threshold indicates that the game is no longer streaming and thus the process and be ended. This method has the greatest amount of starting work but will fully automate the process. You'll just need to run this script/program in your "Pre-Launch Script" in Playnite.

(01-23-2022, 03:01 AM)kung-foo-kamel Wrote: I have a similar issue, if you launch an Xcloud game, once you quit the game you fall back to the Xcloud gui in full screen with no way to close it, or return to Playnite, if you do an alt tab with a keyboard back to Playnite, all controller buttons and movements still appear to be mapped to the Xcloud interface as you can hear it responded in the background as you navigate Playnite, even if you launch a new game, you can still hear the buttons operating Xcloud.
Similar to above, I suggest using a controller profiler. Fortunately your problematic application remains in focus afterwards so all you need to do is put Alt+F4 somewhere. You're idea of Menu+Xbox isn't a bad idea. You could use a small footprint application like JoyShockMapper and have it launch on Game Start and close on Game End so aside from being able to close XCloud you'll never even know that it's running.

I'm not too keen on adding this functionality to Playnite though, at least not as a static function. I do think it's a little bit outside of the scope of the program but I could also see why people would think it was within the scope. But the biggest issue I have is that it would gain a global control over my controller and I'm not fond of that at all. I use a controller profiler specifically because I don't think any application should take total control of my controller other than one designated for that exact purpose. But I also appreciate that most people won't want to install an entire program just to put an Alt+F4 key on their controller. So like I said, if it does get added as a feature then I hope it isn't a static function of the software. Allow me to disable the shortcut and/or change it entirely.